3 MONTH INTERSHIP
Internship benefits : About 590€/month (bank account to be opened in France before starting internship)
Monitoring plan : The trainee will be supervised by a senior gardener on site.
Insurance : medical insurance and civil liability coverage to be provided by the student
Housing : Not provided
Meals : Reduced fee at school restaurant
Located in the South East of Paris, in the Vincennes Woods, the school and gardens École Du Breuil (EDB) has been for the last 150 years one of the largest urban horticultural estates entirely devoted to teaching. It prepares young people and adults for diplomas in landscaping, from the CAP to the professional master’s degree. It develops and organizes training courses for the City of Paris employees on the themes of gardening and green spaces. In vocational school or apprenticeship training, as well as in training for adults the teaching emphasizes plant diversity, landscape composition and drawing connected to urban environments.
Our 13-hectare estate has been awarded the “eco-garden” and “remarkable garden” labels. Five hectares of the garden and a specialized library are accessible to the general public. EDB is a local public establishment attached to the City of Paris under contract with the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry.
The purpose of this internship is to give a good understanding of all gardening and landscaping technics in a public garden. The intern will have the opportunity to work with the Garden’s staff made up of about twenty gardeners responsible for specific and thematic sectors (rose garden, rock garden, shrub collection, vegetable garden, greenhouses, etc.)
Activities assigned to the interns may include :
- Daily maintenance of the gardens or/and of the tree nursery (pruning, repotting, watering, weeding and propagation of plants…).
- Participation in the campaigns of inventory and labeling of the plants of the sector (surveys, bibliographic research, edition and installation of labels, updating of the inventory file)
- Follow-up and participation in the experimental mulching protocol within the framework of practical work with the students, realization of the statements, filling of the monitoring files, completion of mulch thicknesses, photographic report…).
- Follow-up of the management plan of the sector.
- Maintenance of the apiary school: monitoring of young plantations, completion of the building up of structures and laying out of surroundings for the apiary area (plantations, fence, hut for tools, educational panels, circulation).
Specificity of the position :
Use of horticultural machinery, driving of equipment, working in the presence of other adult or minor learners.
The trainee needs to bring working clothes and security boots please. The organisation will provide further tools and needed personal protective equipment
Level in landscaping: Level 4 or 5 (European Qualification Level)
Skills: curiosity, flexibility, open-mindedness, team spirit, enthusiasm
Language level: Comfortable in French (B1 minimum)